Tuesday, July 10, 2007

An Impossible Feat!

I begin today with a simple question: which Horatio Hornblower novel is the best? With so many great works of art to choose from, this would appear to be a challenge bigger than any faced by Horatio himself!

Don't feel like you have to rush to answer, my little Hornies. This debate will be a running feature of this humble space. Take your time to formulate a cogent argument and then post it as a comment on the Hornblog. In one year's time I will assemble a panel of judges to consider the merits of each case. The winning entrant will then receive a leather-bound copy of his or her favorite tome.

So which is my favorite, you ask? Huzzah, fair Hornies! I won't tip my hand so easily. But as a certified Horn snob, I tend to believe that Forester's most financially successful novels were not always his greatest. Sure, it's easy to say that Mr. Midshipman Hornblower or Hornblower in the West Indies are the best of the bunch. But how about undergroung classics like Hornblower and the Hotspur? Ponder these matters well, my friends.

I'll leave you with this juicy morsel: my sources in California have indicated that there is a "MAJOR announcement" coming in the next few weeks that will involve our favorite literary hero. What is this announcement in regards to, you ask? I'll let you know as soon as I do. Keep checking the Hornblog! Huzzah for England and for Viscount Hornblower!

No comments: